Hi all,

  We are developing an antivirus gateway based on Leaf Bering. Right now we
have been able to acomplish the following:

  1) Using emailrelay (http://emailrelay.sourceforge.net) we have been able
to implement an smtp gateway. In proxy mode there is no need for a physicall
storage without violating the RFC. This is because the queue is in RAM but no
ackowledge is sent untill it receives it from the destination smtp server.
Using the preprocessor directive we have been able to hook an antivirus into
it to check the mail. For emailrelay to work we had to upgrade leaf to use
glibc 2.2 using a colister howto as it didnt work with 2.0 This is not a
problem in our case as we plan to use a Compact Flash for storage (minimum 32
MB).

  2) Using pop3vscan (http://pop3vscan.sourceforge.net) we have been able to
make a pop3 gateway with virus checking. Again we have used f-prot as the AV
engine. We dont know if this works with glibc 2.0 as we have not tried.

  Things to do:

  1) Test this environment under heavy load. We plan to use postal and rabid
for this testing (http://www.coker.com.au/postal/).

  2) Use AVP as the antivirus engine or at least the daemon version of
f-prot. Right now we are using the comandline version of f-prot, and we think
a daemon AV engine is needed for such a system.

  3) Try squid-vscan (http://www.openantivirus.org/projects.php) with null
storage. This project seems to be in very early stage and is has no hooks
into f-prot nor AVP. Surely some C coding will be needed.

  4) Try all this with the latest bering release (right now we are using rc2).

  Well this is it. All the code is GPL (besides antivirus engines of course).
Please, tell us if we can use some kind of download area. Also, any testers
and developers will surelly be appreciated.

  Thanks in advance. Regards.

--
Jaime Nebrera Herrera