Charles,

Thanks for your input :) Comments and more questions inline;

On Tue, Jul 16, 2002 at 09:42:02AM -0500, Charles Steinkuehler wrote:

> > What do I do with my blinder.lrp (it's getting closer to
> > releaseability)... licensing-wise?
>
> Pretty much whatever you want :)

Heh... :)

> > The majority of the code is written by myself. But there *are*

<snippage>

> IMHO, writing code is a lot like writing books.  Everyone copies
> everyone else's ideas, but you need to stay away from actually
> plagerizing something.  Of course, trying to define exactly how much
> modification makes something entirely yours vs. a modified version of
> another author's code (or story, or whatever) is a pretty blurry line...

Agreed...

> > Does anyone have any good links on the subject?
>
> Saddly, no.  Please share with the list if you find some good
> references.

Bummer :( I *was* kind of hoping for a reference to the GPL in 'human
readable' format...

If I find anthing useful, I'll post it.

> > Personally I'd be only happy to see people using this thingie, but I

> Most of the open-source licenses are pretty strong about continuing to
> credit previous authors (one of the biggest sins in the open-source
> world is to deny credit to someone whose work you have built on).  I

Which makes perfect sense. And since I'm all for giving credit where
credit's due, that's all fine.

> doubt you found any major pieces of code that are reproduced in your new
> blind application (ie your work is basically original, not derrived), so
> you probably don't have to worry too much about licensing, but it would
> still maybe be nice if you included references to some of the material
> you used as references.

Yeah, this is what I intend to.

> Of course, if a big chunk of your code is lifted from somewhere, you
> will definately need to acknowledge that fact, and consider any
> licensing implications.

No *big* chunks, tiny ones, but still.

> BTW:  I consider the weblet code (cgi-bin scripts) to be GPL'd, although
> there is no license specified.  I guess I haven't worried about it too
> much because:

O.K.

> - Adding licensing notices and author credits takes space, and I was
> trying to make everything as small as possible

Smallness is not so much of a concern for me right now. One of the
rationales for this app, is that it sits on a dedicated box, *well*
shielded from public access. So after I ripped out most of the functions
from the Bering system, there was plenty space...

At this point, smallness is more of a matter of code optimization/reuse
and speedy execution (the less code that runs, the faster it goes,
hopefully ;)

> - I'm not particularly worried about recieving ongoing credit for the
> cgi-bin stuff...it wasn't that much work.

O.K. But you won't *mind* it if I give you credit for it?

> - The shell-script stuff is pretty much open-source anyway...it's kind
> of hard to release a "closed-source" shell script :-)

lol... Yeah, you're right about that ;)

> NOTE: There *IS* a GPL notification at the start of sh-httpd, it was a
> bit more work :)

And that is what it takes? So I basically 'just declare' my stuff to be
GPL'ed (providing it lives up to any requirements) and that's that? Or
rather:

Considering that the whole thing consists of a number ~(10 -> 12)
scripts/C-programs, do I need to put the 'notice' in each one? Or is it
sufficient to put it in, say, a README, packaged with the rest?

Also there's the matter of the source for the C-exes. As was mentioned
in the 'bering=GNU?' thread, it seems kind of overkill to put that in the
.lrp... So is it sufficient to post it on a website, or is it
better/preferred that I make a 'developer' tarball, with everything in
it, and make *that* available for download as well?

As for packaging in general, my intention is to makes the blinder.lrp
available, as a standalone package. That is, *not* to make complete
floppy images. So that anyone who wants to use it, will have to get a
Bering/(whatever) image, and strip that to make space and subsequently
install the blinder.lrp to it. The rationale being that anyone who's
about to build/use such a system, may as well get to know LEAF in the
process, plus it makes my life much easier. AND I avoid any licensing
issues in the process...

Thanks again for the response...

Jon Clausen