On Tue, 2002-08-27 at 22:21, Greg Morgan wrote:
> David Douthitt and Mike Noyes wrote:
> <snip>
> > > This is why I recommend PSGML with Emacs. PSGML parses the appropriate
> > > DTD, and provides a context sensitive pop-up of available tags. Learning
> > > the tags isn't that hard, but figuring out which tags you can use within
> > > others is difficult. PSGML only shows valid tags at a particular point
> > > in the document.
> >
> > Maybe I should try Emacs again.
>
> I was thinking about this post the other day.  The list of tags sounds
> like a nice Emacs feature, but I wouldn't choose the tool on its DTD
> parsing alone.  I do not believe you have to be flexible here.  I
> believe the problem LDP and Gnome documentation have is that they have
> existed for some time.  Hence, much of the work is written in docbook
> 3.1 and SGML.  LEAF is starting the docbook process at 4.1 while I
> believe 4.2 was just released.  If as some of the LDP and Gnome howtos
> point out that everything is moving to XML, then set a policy that LEAF
> docbook work will be in docbook 4.2 and use only the XML DTD.  I would
> recommend that this happen but there are other issues that I may not be
> thinking about that would say stay with SGML.

Greg,
I've recommended DocBook XML for over a year. The move to 4.2 is
interesting, but I'd like to see other projects start using it first.

Convert documentation to DocBook v4.x XML DTD
https://sourceforge.net/pm/task.php?func=detailtask&project_task_id=21161&group_id=13751&group_project_id=5259

Note: PSGML is able to work with XML documents.
https://sourceforge.net/projects/psgml/

--
Mike Noyes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
http://sourceforge.net/users/mhnoyes/