Just finished digging around and found this information...

libssl.version shows 0.9.6-1

/usr/lib contains these libraries, all from libssl.lrp

        libcrypto.so
        libcrypto.so.0
        libcrypto.so.0.9.6
        libssl.so
        libssl.so.0
        libssl.so.0.9.6

I am still getting the message:

zebra: error in loading shared libraries
libcrypto.so.2: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

It seems that I am beginning to catch on. Zebra is looking for a newer
version of libcrypto than what is being provided by libssl.lrp. So, that
leaves me with two options;

        [1] build an updated libssl.lrp
        [2] compile my zebra package with libcrypto statically linked

Michael suggested number [2], would anyone else care to voice an opinion on
this? Does anyone else even see the need to have an updated libssl package?
Just trying to gain a consensus and possibly some guidance before moving
forward. Personally, I would like to eventually see ssh and zebra not using
statically linked libraries. That is, of course, unless I can show that
using the static libraries on zebra and ssl work out to take up less space
than zebra+ssh+ssl  packages.

Respectfully,
Eric