-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of Mike Noyes
Sent: Friday, February 14, 2003 1:48 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: [leaf-devel] Network diagrams

On Thu, 2003-02-13 at 22:46, Steven Peck wrote:
> > From: Mike Noyes [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
> > Here are some examples of what I'm suggesting.
> >
> > http://www.nta-monitor.co.uk/fact-sheets/topology-main.htm
> > http://www.firewall.cx/firewall_topologies.php
>
> What is the audience?

Steven,
Beginning to intermediate users. Advanced users are probably well aware
of the potential pitfalls.

> What would these diagrams be used for?
> Showing standard and other potenetial LEAF configurations?
> Something we could reference new users to?

Yes.

> Showing potential best practices with opening ports and outlining the
> consequences?

How would you diagram traffic flow through a router? Wouldn't a diagram
of this nature be very complex?

> I had thought of doing something like this in gif/jpeg/png form to refer
> folks to when they were describing there networks.

Yes a bit-mapped format (jpeg/png) and a vector format for source, so we
can manipulate the diagrams. I think dxf is the only widely supported
format. W3C SVG is to new. I don't know of any applications that support
it.

http://www.w3.org/Graphics/SVG

--
Mike Noyes <mhnoyes @ users.sourceforge.net>