Good Evening,

I have been hacking around and have managed to compile the latest Snort
(v2.0.1) under the virtual Usermode Linux using the GlibC 2.0.7.  All is
well and it runs much better than the v1.8 that's floating around.

I have one problem.  I had to include the init.d script from v1.8 to get it
running via "svi snort start"  It was working this morning, and I was
messing around with chown and chgrp to get the proper owner (root) for the
binaries and rules, and now the script doesn't work.

Hell if I know why.  I can start it using the same command line the script
uses, but when I fire off the script, it returns a prompt with no feedback
positive or negative, and doesn't start or stop the program.

The script is as follows:

====================
#! /bin/sh

# /etc/init.d/snort: start/stop snort daemon

RCDLINKS="2,S35 3,S10 4,S10 5,S10 0,K05 1,K05 6,K05"

test -x /usr/sbin/snort || exit 0
test -f /usr/local/snort/rules/snort.conf || exit 0

# Configurable options:

case "$1" in
  start)
        echo -n "Starting IDS server: snort"
        mkdir -p /var/log/snort/log
        cd /usr/local/snort/rules
        /usr/local/sbin/snort -D -d -c snort.conf -l /var/log/snort/log
        echo "."
        ;;
  stop)
        echo -n "Stopping IDS server: snort"
        kill -9 `pidof /usr/sbin/snort`
        echo "."
        ;;
  *)
        echo "Usage: $0 {start|stop}"
        exit 1
esac

exit 0

Does anyone see why this would crap out?  I am not knowledgeable enough with
scripting to see what the problem is.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks

Tony

PS, Once this is thoroughly thrashed, I'm going to submit it for
distribution along with a short How-To get it up and running.