At 08:49 05.03.2004 +0100, franco segna wrote:
>Alex Rhomberg wrote:
>
>>>< snip >
>>>Shouldn't it be /etc/shorewall/ rather? I prefer my config in /etc
>>>- Alex
>>>< snip >
>>>
>I agree with Etienne's considerations and with Alex' preferred location.
>To simplify update and field testing procedures, wouldn't be nice to have ALL config
>files (not only shorewall's, but also Bering's) in a separate  *lrp package?

Which would require some `glue logic`to extract and reinsert configuration data in the
current location(s). Let's not kid ourselves, most of the packages have their own
configuration system which makes unifying a difficult issue.
Part of this may be achieved with Alex's diff scripts. Another aproach would be to
base the config on the `new config system` by Chad and Lynn, but I don't know how far
this has come. And even if we had this new config system, it would require to write
the glue for each and every package and update it for each release.

I would be happy if the shorewall config files had an `INCLUDE filename` statement
which would allow to keep the config data from the explanation. I personally like the
explanation section in the config files a lot but it makes it difficult to move to a
new release.

The actual location of the configuration data is an everlasting discussion amongst
developers. Most packages nowadays come with a configure script which often has a
configuration location target. I believe a certain standardisation could be achieved
if the LEAF branches agree on certain paths.

OK my 0.02

Erich

THINK
Püntenstrasse 39
8143 Stallikon
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
PGP Fingerprint: BC9A 25BC 3954 3BC8 C024 8D8A B7D4 FF9D 05B8 0A16