On Sun, 02 Jan, 2005 at 12:49:38 +0100, Jon Clausen wrote:

<snip>

> Since upgrading my workstastion to SUSE 9.2 my UML virtual machines won't
> start, and I'm beginning to tire of the complexity of all that.
>
> So I'm now looking at setting up a dedicated system for
> compilation/development.

At some point it occurred to me that the simplest way might be to
'de-usermode' my UML. Long story (very) short:

transfer the filesystem to the target host/partition
(loop mount the slink image, tar up contents, untar on target)

put a (non-uml) kernel on target partition

arrange for the bootloader to recognize the above
(I'm using grub)

edit /etc/fstab on target, to reflect the new situation

edit /etc/inittab on target, to get 'real' terminals (for keyboard/monitor)

boot.

For convenience I've added:

/etc/init.d/ifconf-eth0

#!/bin/sh
ifconfig eth0 10.1.1.111 netmask 255.255.255.0 broadcast 10.1.1.255

symlinked from /etc/rcS.d/S40ifconf-eth0

and installed sshd (unpacked an sshd.lrp, moved files to the proper places)
in order to get network access.

It looks like it's working, so I thought I'd share in case anyone's
interested.

/Jon

--
YMMV