Just a quick note to help anyone who may be having problems with this
setup.

1) Install the 'compat-gcc-32' and 'compat-gcc-32-c++' packages. (as
root on the command line type "yum install <packagename>")

2) In buildenv's buildtool.mk on line 37 change "HOSTCC:=gcc" to
"HOSTCC:=gcc32". (You'll have to edit conf/sources.cfg to make a custom
entry for the buildenv package that points to your own buildtool.cfg and
buildtool.mk.)

On the path of having a GCC4-compatible buildenv I moved to binutils
2.16.1 which fixes a gcc4-related compile error, with no ill effects
yet. Anyone have a fully gcc4 compatible buildenv?

Hope this was helpful. - Justin