On Wed, 2005-08-24 at 08:45, Luis.F.Correia wrote:
> Is this whole conversation about loading to ram, using initramfs or any
> other kind relevant to the current branches of LEAF?

Luis,
No, but it may be relevant to future LEAF branches.

> The way I see it, the team i'm part of has already analysed the implications
> of switching over to 2.6 kernels, including the need for a new initial
> filesystem. For several reasons we have already gave to the community, we
> have decided that for now, 2.6 and all that goes with it, is not really a
> great improvement.

That's a decision the LEAF Bering uClibc branch made.

> Which means that we (Bering-uClibc Team), are going to continue supporting a
> bootable floppy version, using a basic set of a complete, stable production
> grade router/firewall.

Another decision by the LEAF Bering uClibc branch. WISP-Dist took
another position.

> Altough I don't use floppy-based setup any longer, I still feel that if we
> make all efforts to keep supporting it, we will maintain focus. Having a
> larger boot media will lead to all sorts of excesses...

Size is always a concern.

        From our project goals: "Maintain as small a footprint as
        possible for release/branch target installations.

> We don't want to loose the modular design we have now. Not being able to
> backup the initramfs for example is not a very nice thing.

Agreed. However, GNAP is much closer to a true embedded design.

> I think we may be loosing too much time discussing stuff with little or no
> result... The central DB design comes to my mind for example...

I in no way think discussion is a wast of time. It's where ideas come
from, and synergy is generated.

> So, unless someone has a good small footprint design using the latest
> available techologies, providing the same capabilities we have now, lets
> leave the matter for now.

I've said this before, but it seems it's time to mention it again.

Evolution as a project development model may not work for the community
anymore. If the community wishes to move to a monolithic development
model, I'll step aside.

SF.net Projects: leaf, phpwebsite, phpwebsite-comm, sitedocs