On Wed, 2006-03-15 at 07:22, Nathan Angelacos wrote:
> > Have you or anyone else on the bering-uclibc team asked for help?
>
> I have.   If you have time, please search the mailing lists for the words
> "webconf development"   [BTW - Webconf isn't just bering-uClibc - it works
> with classic Bering as well.

Nathan,
I remember most of the devel list conversation, and the last mention was
in Aug 2005. That's over a year without mentioning it on our devel list.

>   Please don't blame lack of exposure on the bering-uClibc crew.]

I'm not blaming anyone.

> Not that you asked, but here's my $0.02.  There are a number of reasons why
> development has been slow, but here's one idea:
>
> A) its hard work

Agreed.

> B) there's no reward... I believe in "ego" as being a factor for OS
> development, and right now there's no place for a budding webconf developer
> to put his creation on the leaf site for the world to see.

This is my fault. I'm working on the issue, but I'm tasked with fixing
our docbook build process first.

> I've had a number of conversations (see the mailing lists) with people who
> want to write a lwp, and the only place we have for them to put their work
> right now is in my devel cvs tree.

That is something KP can address, or they can contact me to join us.

> To work on a project, then have it stored under someone else's name, buried
> in
> a cvs archive with no link to the homepage doesn't have the same reward as
> working on OpenWRT, posting your ipkg and letting the world see it.

This seems directed at our cvs structure, website, and indirectly at me.
I'll say this again,"Our branch sites are under the control of their
lead developer." The only two that are under my direct supervision are
our hub and devel branch.

I implemented some advanced features on our website that caused an ease
of use issue. Specifically, I have our site serving pages to capable
browsers as application/xhtml+xml (see firefox page info). The problem
is any content submitted by a user that isn't well formed xhtml will
render the page unreadable. Fixing the problem isn't trivial. :-(

        This is why I haven't opened up the devel branch to our
        developers for modification.

> Even in OpenWRT, web configuration is slow - so I think it proves the "hard
> work" bit. :-)

:-)

> <rant> To get to these links, I went to http://leaf.sourceforge.net ->
> Developers (box at top) -> Angelacos, Nathan (What's Related Box) -> Webconf
> (UI Box)  Not exactly where I would look it I wanted to develop a web
> interface for LEAF </rant>

I agree. I thought this content was incorporated into the bering-uclibc
documentation. :-(

> Mike, please don't take this as personal criticism against the leaf website -
> we all appreciate what you ARE able to do, I'm just making an honest
> observation, based on the early interest I had seen in the web interface, and
> what had happened to many of the developers.

Understood. I make mistakes, and all I can do is try to learn from them.
If I had it to do over again, I would have never implemented
application/xhtml+xml on a working phpWebSite without tidylib available.

I hope installing mediawiki will alleviate most of these issues. It'll
give everyone a place for content. Greg Morgan is familiar with what
mediawiki can do, and can answer questions better than I can.

SF.net Projects: leaf, phpwebsite, phpwebsite-comm, sitedocs