Missed the cc: earlier ...

--- Begin Message ---

2.4 is fine as-is: people using it for production systems are not likely to move off it for a long time (if ever). You have it, it works, there's little impetus in general to move to anything else, with all the additional effort/risk/cost involved.

In my particular case, this was a project requirement for various reasons - the boxes needed to be dropped off at remote locations and forgotten about (maintenance-wise) for the next 10 years, most new/custom hardware cards are targeting 2.6 rather than 2.4, and the trajectory of 2.4 is that of maintenance, while 2.6 is still seeing improvements/enhancements. The reason for ruling out uclibc in this case was that there was a significant software stack above the OS, and it was lower risk to use libc rather than uclibc/diet/<pick your low-fat libc here>.

The reason for not using embedded Debian or Redhat or even something like M0n0wall or something else based on ipkg? There was a large legacy code base that was Bering/LRP based.

Hope that helps,

-Venki