Luis.F.Correia wrote:
> Hi!

I compiled practically everything as modules (even the keyboard drivers
which gave me some problems when I forgot to add them (or their
dependencies) on the initramfs)

I had to compile a special version of busybox that only had the
absolutely necessary applets to load drivers, unpack the
alpinebase.tar.gz (equivalent to root.lrp) where a more complete busybox
lives. That way I am able to boot from a 1.44MB floppy.

> Well, the decisions of initrd vs initramfs vs romfs vs how should
> the initial boot 'thing' be backed up.

In Alpine, its not backed up. Its readonly. The only drivers included in
the initramfs are the the ones that are needed to find the base package
 (root.lrp) The base package is responsible for autodetecting the rest
of the hardware, pull in the needed runtime packages + local
configuration overlay, and start the services.

There is no need to back up the initial boot 'thing'. (mostly because I
can mount a cdrom and "ls -n /media/cdrom/modules /lib/" and then do
traditional coldplugging/autodetection)

> The usefulness of 2.6 kernel in embedded environments like ours.

udev/hotplugging?
newer drivers/hardware support?
virtualization? (xen stuff)
-Os compilation?

the 2.6 kernel has its own subsection for embedded. (but I got stability
problems when playing there)

> Which would conclude to mostly being design decisions, not a true
> problem.

Like the package manager.

> I personally think as 2.6 as a still-in-development kernel, with
> way too much stuff going on to be considered a stable platform.

True, but thats also the reason it has such huge mindshare if you
compare to BSD. (which is much more stable platform)

> And I speak against myself, as i'm involved with it in another
> project, the rt2x00 wireless kernel driver. :)

Cool! I have such a card and I use the rt2500 driver. The latest Alpine
ISO should autodetect it for you when you boot it.

> But don't let my words or thoughs cloud your judgement, prepare
> something and i'll test and comment.

Looks like Alpine will be hosted on http://alpine.cinematicnetworks.com
for a while

> Luis Correia