Hi Mike,

Op Di, 18 juli, 2006 5:25 pm schreef David Douthitt:
> Mike Noyes wrote:
>

>> Everyone,
>> We need to release source tarballs in the SF FRS with our binaries.
>>

> How does this affect distributions that are not being actively
> maintained?
>
> I agree with Luis, though - the storage requirements for SF are going to
> be incredible...

I also agree with Luis and took a look at that article again.

Quoted:
"Under GPL version 2, distributors who release binaries through a network
server have to release the corresponding source code in the same way. This
requirement is the only way to assure that users can get the source, and
the that it is the right source."

Me interpreting it as:
The Bering-uClibc team releases binaries through a network server and also
releases the source code the same way. Although for a few very big
sources, like gcc, uClibc and kernel we do this with a link from the
network server to an other server. I still see this as fitting the above
description (but English is not my native language).

Following quote:
"The simplest way to fulfill this requirement is to put them both on the
same server. This requires extra work, but not much. The distibutor needs
server space for the source as well as the binary, and has to upload both.
Anyone that does these things for the binary can manage to do them for the
source as well."

Note the word "simplest way", this is not the _only_ way. I still don't
think that there is a problem.

The reason why this whole GPL thing is brought up I think, is because some
distros use packages from other upstream distros (like f.e. Knoppix using
Debian packages). In those cases sourcecode is not provided because no
changes where made to the plain Debian packages and are used as is for
Knoppix (just an example).

In the case of Bering-uClibc we build everything from source and the
sourcecode, patches, makefiles are all available in CVS or with direct
links (the links only in few cases to not "blow up" sourceforge). So I
still don't see a problem...

To answer David: I think this whole story only applies for distros still
being maintained (with a limit of 3 years).

Eric