Hi Erich,

> OK, i have to admit it, I do not grok this buildtool.
>
> What is the canonical way to get up to date without building buildenv
> again?
There is no canonical way. The short version is that there simply isn't
any way to get the buildenv up to date, because it would most likely
cause plenty of problems later on (cryptic liker errors, new sources not
compiling because header files they depend on weren't updated and so
on). Yes, technically it would be possible, but nobody from the Bering
uClibc crew has enough time on their hands to start working on that.

The easiest way to go is to simply start out from scratch again. If your
bandwidth is limited, and you don't want to keep downloading the same
stuff over and over again, see the section about "Checking out an older
version to build" in http://leaf.sourceforge.net/doc/bk07ch02s02.html
(and simply check out HEAD instead of a tagged version).

> So back I went and rebuilt the whole buildenv from scratch, but I am
> sure this is not the original idea.
It actually is. Buildtool was made for making building for Bering
uCliblc easier (which, undoubtedly, it does) - but it doesn't claim to
meet every need. It would be very complicated (or rather, it could be,
under certain circumstances) to make sure that all dependant sources are
rebuilt after an upgrade to a never version of buildtool - and since
buildtool is mainly designed to be used by developers, it was assumed
that people would either know which sources needed rebuilding after an
update, or simply start from scratch - which usually is a good thing
anyway, since it makes sure there are no broken links in the configs).

The whole thing can also be speeded up by "simply" deleting all
buildtool.cfg and buildtool.mk files, deleting staging/ and emptying
conf/sources.cfg - of course, this could be put in a script (and if
anybody wants to write it, I'm sure it would find its way into the tools
directory of buildtool). But that approach has a serious drawback - if
any source or patch was updated in cvs (and the name of the source or
patch hasn't changed), buildtool will not download it with the default
config. That can be changed (in which case, it will ignore things it
already downloaded and download everything again - but that's just as
bad as starting from scratch in the first place). The only way to avoid
that is staying on top of the current development (i.e. by tracking the
cvs-commits list) and knowing which files have been replaced - obviously
not something that's going to work for a large number of people.

I hope that helps,

Martin