Hi Paul,

> Speaking of busybox, I noticed that you're linking busybox to its linked
> commands with symbolic links instead of hardlinks.  Using hardlinks should
> be more memory and space efficient *if* using a symbolic link takes up an
> inode in the filesystem in memory/on disk.  Unfortunately, my memory is
> too foggy to remember exactly which filesystems symbolic links take inodes
> in vs directory entries.

I think with tmpfs it doesn't matter, but am not 100% sure about it.

>> Having argument processing is indeed nice, but automatically finding
>> boot media is not really necessary in my opinion. It doesn't need to be a
>> fully automatic process. If you just mount the device and something like
>> 'loadmod /mnt/Bering-uClibc-2.4.33.tar.gz' it should
>> be enough for a start.
>
> OK, then you're welcome to add this to the distribution. :-)
> Feel free to bang on it.

A few comments:
-Why don't you use tar -X to extract the correct modules? Now you untar
the complete modules repository which is ~8 Mbyte compressed. This takes a
lot of time (especially on "slow" systems, and if /tmp isn't big enough
runs out of memory.
-MODLIST is always /etc/modules, so no real need to have a variable for
it. MODREPO is probably always different so no need to have a default for
it and LIBMOD is always /lib/modules so also no real need for a variable.

But I really like the idea, it could also be used for the CD-ROM image
instead of using all kinds of mount, umount and dir commands in
/etc/modules.

Eric