Hi Erich,

>> Both logfiles (shorewall.log and ulogd.log), served by ulogd are
>> rotated by there own cron scripts. ulogd.log once a week and shorewall.
>> log every day. In both cron scripts ulogd is reloaded.
>
>Using different logrotation methods is IMHO not very reasonable. I am
>not using shorewall for my big production systems and just added the
>logfile in question to the lrp.conf file to profit from the existence of
>a logrotation mechanism. If we offer more than one logging mechanism,
>then, I believe, we must also offer the tools to handle the respective
>log files.

We are not using different logrotating functions, all logrotating is
done by the same program. The lrp.conf config file configures the
syslogd logfiles. The ulogd logging and other daemon logfiles are use
ther own cron scripts. This is done for a few reasons, ulogd and
other packages are optional, it would be ugly to rotate non-existend
logfiles and they have nothing todo with syslogd.

>The modification to the logrotate function is minor and, if applied
>correctly, will not disturb current functionality. Another possibility
>might be to add multicron-p to etc.local so local modifications are
>backed up to configdb.

Why should this be done? There is nothing wrong with ulogd logrotating.
The ulogd cron script hasn't changed since Bering-1.2 days.

There is probably something else wrong in your setup, can you be more
specific about the problem you have with logrotating?

>cheers
>
>Erich

Eric