On Sun, 2007-02-25 at 11:11, Tom Eastep wrote:
> If you find one that looks promising, let me know. I assume that it will
> be limited in some way but I'm used to programming to "the greatest
> common denominator".

Tom,
KP and Eric found the smallest one Microperl. The other one is Miniperl.
I'm not sure if Microperl will provide the functionality you desire.
Anyway, from what I'm able to glean, size and functionality go from:

        Microperl -> Miniperl -> Perl

Building Embedded Linux Systems
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/belinuxsys/

SF.net Projects: leaf, sitedocs