I am, have been, using Bering-1.2 to allow me to use the internet with
some safety for (obviously) several years.  It doesn't seem to be broke,
and I've got other things to do besides update it.  One of these days,
perhaps...

I also agree Bering is more useful than just as a firewall, and
"framework" is an apt substitute.  I'm not sure I agree with inclusion
of the word "network" in the description, it should be more general
than just a networking appliance.  Bering uClibc can be "just the
thing" for very small Linux systems.

One of the thing I'm spending time on is building LFS systems.  I
needed a bootable small system on which to base its reinstallation on
new systems.  I did some work with Trinux, but in the end used a
somewhat stripped-down Bering uClibc.  I thought lrp packaging and
package management was unnecessary for my needs, so retreated to plain
old tarballs, for example.

If this redirection proceeds, I'd suggest: 1) that LEAF installation
have some useful intermediate points before the "full-up" system, e.g.
without lrp packaging, etc., and 2) it would need an easy to setup and
use generalized development environment so additional packages for some
particular use can be easily recompiled for uClibc.
--
Paul Rogers
[EMAIL PROTECTED]