Hi Paul,

thanks for your feedback

> With that
> experience,
> my question would be, what significant benefits does the 2.6 kernel
> provide to a minimalist system?
For me, the main reason was new drivers. It appears that more and more
things are only added to the 2.6 kernel, and not to the 2.4 line. Sooner
or later, it will be difficult to get network adapters to work that
haven't been around for ages.

> I'm still interested in a firewall I can run from a write-protected
> floppy, always have been.  It seems the 2.6 kernel is larger, which is a
> disadvantage.
In that case, the branch with 2.6 kernel will not be for you - I don't
see a way to get a working image with 2.6 kernel onto a floppy (and even
with a two floppy setup it still seems very tight, since one needs a
kernel plus initrd on the first floppy).
But sooner or later, floppy support will have to go anyway - since there
won't be any new systems that are shipped with a floppy. For embedded
systems, floppies have been dead for quite a while, and it seems that
these days, even standard desktops no longer come with a floppy.
Don't get me wrong - I didn't like having to admit that we had to drop
floppy support (and if we find a way to continue floppies, we will -
simply because it will give us the extra incentive to keep things small
and avoid any kind of bloat).
I haven't used real floppies with leaf boxes in ages (I _have_ used it
in VMs, but simply because the floppy images where available and easy to
boot from), and I haven't looked back. I don't miss the unreliability of
floppies (especially superformatted floppies) one bit. Losing the
ability to write protect the boot media is a bummer, but if that's
absolutely needed, one can create a CD to boot from, and use that
instead of floppies (granted, not as simple and convenient as moving the
write-protect thingie in a floppy, but still, a usable alternative).
But I'm not trying to convert you to moving away from floppies - if they
work for you and you don't have any issues with that setup, by all
means, stick with it, until your requirements change.

> I wouldn't argue that, for
> instance, the new locking & dispatching aren't improvements, but do they
> remedy real problems for a LEAF implementation?
Surely not, as far as I'm concerned.

> It seems one branch of hardware development is making small, motorless
> systems that would make nice LEAF applicances, so we might need support
> for them in new kernels.
An example for that would be the ALIX box from PC-Engines. There doesn't
appear to be a watchdog driver in either kernel version yet, but at
least I've found a patch for kernel 2.6

It seems that "Low power computing" is getting popular with chip
manufacturers these days, so I guess we'll see more and more single chip
systems, that have a lot of the needed stuff on chip (like the AMD Geode
LX800 with its random number generator, crypto support, watchdog). I
doubt that support for these new systems will be added to the 2.4 kernel.

Another thing I'm interested in with kernel 2.6 (once it matures) is the
Open Source Atheros wifi driver. Again, I doubt that will make it into
kernel 2.4.

> The 2.4 kernel brought us stateful packet inspection, and that was a
> very
> GOOD thing.  I'm just unaware of a NEED for the 2.6 kernel at present.
I don't think there is a "NEED" for 2.6 kernel in leaf right now. But
there will be at some point (the point when modern hardware will hardly
be supported anymore - just like with 2.2 Kernel today. I doubt you
would be able to get any of the current Gigabit cards to work with a 2.2
kernel - but I must admit, I haven't tried it). So before things get too
bad on the driver front, it seems smart to start working on something
that will give us a perspective for the next 5+ years (just like Bering
did with switching to kernel 2.4, when many people said that 2.2 could
do all they needed, IPTables was too complicated and IPChains did just
fine and so on).

I guess in short, there is no dying need to switch to kernel 2.6 right
now. There might be a few years from today. And if we only start working
on that when there's a dying need, I'm afraid the project will be dead
before we're finished (since either users will have moved away due to
the lack of support for their hardware, or they'll have moved away since
the quickly hacked together 2.6 version is not as stable as
Bering/Bering uClibc). So, even though we don't desperately need 2.6
kernel right now, it would be a bad choice to (IMHO) to just sit there
and be happy that all we need to do today can be done with kernel 2.4

Martin