Am Sonntag, 7. November 2010, 14:12:11 schrieb Erich Titl:
> Hi Folks
>
> on 07.11.2010 13:07, davidMbrooke wrote:
> > On Sat, 2010-11-06 at 23:46 +0100, KP Kirchdoerfer wrote:
> ..
>
> >     "Bering-uClibc" - No argument, I hope :-)
> >     Version         - Something like "4.0-beta1"
> >     KARCH       - "i686", "i486", "geode" etc.
> >     ImgType     - "syslinux", "pxelinux", "isolinux"
> >     Variant         - I'm thinking e.g.
> >
> >                         "std"  - default variant
> >                         "ser"  - serial console variant
> >                         "alix" - tailored to the ALIX platform, maybe
> >
> > The full names might therefore be e.g.
> >
> >     Bering-uClibc_4.0-beta1_i686_isolinux_std.iso
> >     Bering-uClibc_4.0-beta1_i486_syslinux_ser.tar.gz
> >     Bering-uClibc_4.0-beta1_geode_pxelinux_alix.tar.gz
> >
> > Which combinations actually get built will depend on the
> > images/*/buildimage.cfg files that get created.
> >
> > Thoughts?

Erich; I mostly agree with you, but:

> Are you really sure, anyone aiming for a LEAF router wants to choose
> between 25 kernels? The big thing in the past was that you could just
> use one distribution and it would either just work or else you had to
> build a few modules on your own, and that was pretty easy.

David talks about _images_ , not only kernels. We may have only three or four
kernels (i486 for everyone, geode, i686 for those who need a superfast
router).
Images are for cd-boot, cf/hd-boot or probably pxeboot.

> Now I don't even have a clue which of the predefined configs I should
> start with and cannot just easily combine modules into what I need ( at
> least iot looks like that )
>
> So for my needs, a kernel booted by grub with geode support _and_ PCI-E
> (yes, it exists) I will obviously go through the whole hoopla. I think
> it is unfortunate to call something useless, make it modular and please
> keep LEAF modular.

Agree.

> Keep the distro with a default kernel, other kernels can be added, but I
> don't see a reason for an image just for a specific kernel version.
> This can be added easily by just replacing the kernel.

Each kernel needs it's own modules (moddb) and initrd, otherwise it won't
work/boot.