Hi Erich;

Am 06.12.2012 19:13, schrieb Erich Titl:
> Hi Folks
>

>> on 26.11.2012 16:09, KP Kirchdoerfer wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Erich;
>>>
>>> would be great. Altough it works for me, I understand it is an issue.
>>
>> I have looked some more into the atheros wifi driver.
>
> I pushed a change to maint for the regulatory db inclusion in the kernel.

Great; I confirm it works (besides the pb you describe below).
I hope we don't have to take too much about changes to static regdb.

>> For my card, it is a CM9 bought at PCengines the EEPROM returns a value
>> which tells the driver to use it's default settings. For reasons
>> whatever the driver uses the US settings as default.
>>
>> The driver code ANDs the settings, so for any (Atheros) card with an
>> EEPROM value 'default' the channels are restricted to US settings. I
>> already complained about this at linux-wireless.
>>
>> I am playing with the driver code to make WORLD the default setting.
>> This is a tricky operation, as the init code is called at multiple
>> locations.
>>

> I also investigated in the Atheros US default regulatory domain issue.
> It appears there is a patch for this issue in the OpenWRT code, but I
> was unable to locate it, so I wrote my own patch against the ath.ko
> module, which allows to set a different country code at load time by
> means of a module parameter. I did not push this patch though, as it
> modifies the regulatory handling of all atheros drivers that depend on
> ath.ko
>
> I can push this if you think there is demand.

> Someone might need to port this to master.

I looked into to your conversation at linux-wireless to get an idea what
you have done. I understand that the way the subsystem/driver works does
not satisfy you, but also that your patch is beyond the specification. I
can't and will not decide yet, if we should even add it to 5.0-alpha,
but IMHO it's not a good idea to apply it to the stable version, being
in maintenance mode.