Hi Yves;

Am 26.07.2013 19:30, schrieb Yves Blusseau:

> Le 24 juil. 2013 à 19:22, Erich Titl <erich.t...@think.ch> a écrit :
>
>> Hi KP
>>
>> on 24.07.2013 19:11, KP Kirchdoerfer wrote:
>>> Hi all;
>>> hi Yves;
>>>
>>> now that 5.0 has gone stable and even a first beta of 5.0.1 is out, I
>>> think it's about time to move "master" branch to "maint".
>>
>> What would be the old content of maint then and how would one access it?
>> Should we branch off a 4.x maint?
>> How to update ones local repository and link it to 4.x maint?
>
> Yes we will create a maint-4.3 branch that will be the old maint
>
> You will have to do a git checkout maint-4.3 to get the old maint
>

>> I know there has been much discussion about git naming convention, but
>> names are just names. I myself am not so fond of neither 'maint' nor
>> 'master' as they mean nothing to me at all.
>>
>> It is just that it might be interesting to still have a chance to fix
>> small stuff in 4.x, even if there will never be a release again.
>

> But why changing stuff in 4.x if we never release it again.
> It's time to upgrade to version 5.x.
>
> If it's ok for all developers i will change the branch as:
>
> master will be the 5.0.1 version
> maint will be the 5.0 stable version.
> Next and pu branches stay as is.

My understanding is that we also don't release 5.0.0.x, or something
else - 5.0.1 is the maintenance version for 5.0. The changes are mostly
package updates but no big changes.
For master it should be something more "intrusive" like uClibc, major
kernel update or Andrews work on linuxheaders, don't know what will
happen next.

But maybe I'm wrong...