Hi Erich;

Am Dienstag, 13. Oktober 2015, 14:26:14 schrieb Erich Titl:
> Hi Folks
>
> What is the reason for the introduction of the /etc/ez-ipupd directory?

The change has been made in 2012 (somewhere in 4.3.x AFAIK) and for the
purpose to "allow ezipupd to manage multiple configurations in parallel"
(according to git log).

> AFAIK ez-ipupd has not been enhanced/changed since 2002, so I cannot see
> a reason for this change. Also it appears that now the daemon keyword is
> required in the config file, again this was not necessary before, so why
> now? Why do we touch working configuration files? This is not useful for
> establishing a stable platform.

So it has been stable from 2002 until 2012, and again three years since last
change.  Or it has there has been only one change in 13 years - I think this
could be called stable. Go back to your backups from 2002 and have a look what
system you have had that time on your desktop and how much changes have been
made since then :)

Well the reason for this change can be called either an improvement or a fix
for not well written Package in 2002.

Sometime between 2002 and today dyndns, supported by ezipupdate and reason for
me to have used it, changed their business model to move away from free dns
services to something else- which bothered me more than a change in our
Package.

ymmv