Danny Carter wrote:

> Hubs are passive devices and do not need to be set for IP addresses. You
> usually have an uplink port (depending on the make/model), that will be
> either the highest or lowest numbered port on the hub.

Some hubs do not have uplink ports - must make sure the hub you're
using actually has one.

[Someone else asked:]
> >    4:  What are good brands for inexpensive hubs?

My favorite is the LinkSys 8-port hub as this comes with a 10Base2
uplink port - in my case, that means I can connect my old Macintosh
IIci with only a 10Base2 port on it to the network and use 10BaseT
elsewhere.