Derek Di Matteo wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I have set up an eigerstein lrp firewall. When I call AT&T/MediaOne/RR tech
> support they always give me a hassle when I answer the question of "what
> operating system do I use" with "Linux".  I can nicely avoid this if I knew
> the equivalent unix commands to duplicate the info one gets from winipcfg,
> such as ip address, mac address, etc.
>
> Does anyone have suggestions on how to obtain the same info as in winipcfg?

Derek,

Eigerstein uses iproute, from the iproute2 package:

http://www.linuxgrill.com/iproute2-toc.html

If you use the command, ip addr show, (short for ip address show) you'll
get the equivalent for winipcfg:

eth1: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP> mtu 1500 qdisc pfifo_fast qlen 100
    link/ether 00:c0:26:ca:d3:3e brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
    inet 192.168.0.1/24 brd 192.168.0.255 scope global eth1

http://www.linuxgrill.com/iproute2.doc.html#ss9.2.3

Lots of reading!  :)

--
Patrick Benson