echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_dynaddr is probably what you are thinking
of. It should be accepted by 2.2.x kernels.

There is a patch that allows some fancier settings, posted at
www.grueneberg.de/linux/linux-2.2.14-rst.patch I don't know whether this
has made it into the normal kernel.

In any case, I've never been able to get this to work right.
Windows-based web browsers behind the firewall still time-out, though
linux-based browsing works.