Kevin wrote:

> added both ttyp1 and ttyp2 to the /etc/securetty file, saved and rebooted
>
> putty still will not connect - get Remote Session Closed by Host
>
> any other suggestions to get this sshd going??

I agree with Victor, you don't have to add ttyp1 or ttyp2 and you must
have the file /etc/hosts.allow configured correctly. Do you have the
private key, identity, generated when sshd was installed, stored away
somewhere for executing sessions with putty on your Winbox? You may also
need to take a look in the /etc/ssh/sshd_config file:

#This is ssh server systemwide configuration file.

Port 22
#ListenAddress 0.0.0.0
ListenAddress My.internal.nic.ip
HostKey /etc/ssh/ssh_host_key
RandomSeed /etc/ssh/ssh_random_seed
ServerKeyBits 768
LoginGraceTime 600
KeyRegenerationInterval 3600

#For root access via authorized keys only!
#PermitRootLogin nopwd
PermitRootLogin yes

IgnoreRhosts no
StrictModes yes
QuietMode no
X11Forwarding no
X11DisplayOffset 10
FascistLogging no
PrintMotd yes
KeepAlive yes
SyslogFacility DAEMON
RhostsAuthentication no
RhostsRSAAuthentication no
RSAAuthentication yes
PasswordAuthentication no
PermitEmptyPasswords no
UseLogin no
# PidFile /u/zappa/.ssh/pid
AllowHosts My.internal.lan.ips
# DenyHosts lowsecurity.theirs.com *.evil.org evil.org
# Umask 022
# SilentDeny on

RSAAuthentication option set to yes and PasswordAuthentication set to no
allows only the machines on the LAN with a valid identity key without
the password login option enabled to have access to the LRP machine.

--
Patrick Benson
Stockholm, Sweden