On Tue, 26 Jun 2001, Dan wrote:

> Sorry if it's a bit newbie, and a bit OT, but any help appreciated.
>
> Here's my situation:
>
> I have the network pictured here http://64.81.226.171/netdiagram2.txt in
> place and running.  I own two domain names, justaskdan.com and gilleece.net.
> I don't want to pay $10/ea/mo. to have someone provide name pointers for me,
> so I'd like to do the the DNS updating myself.  I have read a good bit of
> material on the topic, but my lack of experience is showing thru...

Run don't walk to the nearest book purveyor and get the O'Reilly DNS &
Bind book. The configuration syntax is very touchy and having examples
at hand helps a lot.

> Here is what I have tried:  I setup named on the .171 box, creating all the
> files according to the "cookbook" at
> http://www.pcquest.com/linux/settingup.asp, and I get "Ready to answer
> queries" when named starts.  Other than that, I can't tell if it's doing
> anything.

Probably not -- when clients want to look up your zone, they look to the
root servers for the address of your SOA server. The company you
registered with is currently telling the root servers that they're SOA.
You have to use their interface to change yourself and a friend to the
SOA servers.

> 1.  Will a misconfiguration harm anything or piss anyone off?

Depends on the misconfiguration :-) Most likely not. Generally BIND
screwups just prevent you from doing anything -- it won't screw up other
people unless they're relying on you to have a working config.

> 2.  I "own" the domain names, but internic whois shows the firms thru which
> I registered the domains as technical contacts.  Am I skipping a step by
> simply putting up my own primary DNS server? How do I establish MY server as
> the global authority for where my names/IPs point?

see above

> 3.  Are there any recommended links for explaining this stuff at a VERY
> pedestrian level?  Most of the HOW-TO docs I have located refer to the
> specifics of configuring one system vs. another, but don't really go into
> explaining the background of exactly what the DNS system IS  and how it
> WORKS.

see above. The O'Reilly books are one of the definitive sources for
information about UNIX and the Internet. Another thing you can do is
have a look at http://www.freesoft.org - there's an introductory text
there that might be helpful (along with a nice RFC mirror).

--
Jack Coates
Monkeynoodle: It's what's for dinner!