From: Peter Nosko <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> > As I understand it, you should be able to get about half the bandwidth.
> > 100 Mb connection will transfer 50*1000*1024/8 bytes per second (half
the
> > 100 times a million bits divided by 8 bits per byte).  Are you
> > getting these
> > kind of throughputs?
>
> pn] Well, I just ftp'ed on again to check.  It transferred a 639,453,184
> byte file in 132.83 seconds for 4814.11Kbytes/sec.  Isn't this only about
> 38.5Mb/sec?  This is with no other significant activity on the network.
Not
> that's it's bad (overall), but I'm just wondering if it is normal or if it
> indicates a problem somewhere.

Well... first, I guess you have to allow something for protocol overhead..
with ftp I would assume very little but 50 MB/sec is a theoretical value.
Also, how the measurement happened could affect things... I don't know how
you measured to the hundredth of a second... but if you included some of the
set-up or tear-down, then it would deflate the rate.  I guess this isn't a
rate to get excited about but maybe not one to get mad about either.  I
would see if you can get that error rate.  If it's high, then I would look
for a problem.

-Alan