Dan wrote:

> > Anybody tried VNC?
>
> Yes.  I have tried VNC to both Windows and Linux machines thru my system
> (also based on the LRP-CD scripts).  It works very well, but provides no
> security on its own.  I'd like to hear other's comments on the best way to
> configure external access to internal VNC hosts --- i.e., restricting
> connections to specific hosts, ranges of host addresses, encrypting the VNC
> session, etc.

The standard method is to encrypt using SSH.  VNC uses ports 5900 (:0),
5901 (:1), 5902 (:2), and so forth.  The web browser/java version uses
5800, 5801, etc.

Just use ssh to tunnel the protocol across.  One important thing though:
in using ssh over a modem, use compression (-c) and if using a UNIX
client with compression and port forwarding from the local host, tell
VNC to use hextile encoding, or it will send much more data than
necessary.

The details are at the main VNC web site - and well explained.

I use VNC daily; puts a UNIX desktop right over the top of my NT
desktop...