Kevin:

        Heya. Sorry for the late reply: as you can see in the
archives, there was a big discussion regarding unsolicited TCP
packets to port 53. Intentionally misconfigured packets, too,
ones set with both the SYN and ACK flags, as if your firewall
tried to initiate a connection. Your firewall would/should reply
with a SYN RST (I believe) and the response time from that
reply is what the load-balancing software is trying to measure.
        Very annoying.
        The really annoying part is that...most LEAF users
aren't even running DNS on their firewall or on their LAN. Sure,
we all *use* DNS, as clients, but my impression  it that LEAF
is used more to protect a LAN of users than a LAN of servers.
Maybe that'd be a good poll for the LEAF site. :)

        Anyhow...if you're not running a DNS server on your
firewall or on your LAN, you can safely ignore anything that
shows up on port 53. The rules would look something like:

$IPCHAINS -A input -i $IF_EXT -d 0.0.0.0/0 53 -p udp -j DENY
$IPCHAINS -A input -i $IF_EXT -d 0.0.0.0/0 53 -p tcp -j DENY

        It used to be that only renegade DHCP and NetBIOS packets
needed to be explicitly filtered without logging, as they are so
terribly common and equally harmless. This annoying "DNS-based
load balancing scan" has, I think, moved into that category.

-Scott