I the next couple of days hopefully they will be coming to install DSL
here. I have been running Eiger 3.1.0 with ppp ok. But, now it goes away
and I need a to ethernet version. I get 3.1.0 image for DSL, cable, etc.
Now, my DSL will be PPPoA and according to my provider the modem's
ethernet will be 192.168.1.1 and it expects the connecting machine to be
192.168.1.2.
Ok say I, all I need to do is have eth0 be 192.168.1.2 and the eth1 be
192.168.2.254 for the internal network and disable the denying of
private network numbers in the filtering rules.
In order to be ready for the big day, I used my main linux machine
booting 2.2.16 kernel to emulate the Zxcel modem by having it make the
ppp connect and it's eth0 be 192.168.1.1. I then configured a hard drive
on the leaf machine running 2.2.16 kernel to test the validity of my
assumption on a system where I knew the tools, ifconfig, route, etc,
better.
Lo and behold it worked after setting the ipfwadm commands. The router
was masqurading to 192.168.1.2 and then the modem emulator was masqing
from 192.168.1.2 to the internet. All other boxes, kids windows and
another Linux box all had access to the internet just like before.
Ok, now pull the hard drive from the leaf box and boot eiger 3.1.0.
After a couple of false starts concerning ethernet modules, eth0=3c503
and eth1=3c509, and learning a little about ip command the interfaces
were up. However, pinging 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.1.2 from the modem
emulator yielded 100% packet loss. I could ping machines on the
192.168.2.x eth1. ip revealed the addresses were correct and messages
showed that the 3c503 was eth0. but no ping. Yellow leds flashed showing
traffic.
What had I done wrong?
Then, just for the halibut, i tried pinging my provider from the leaf
machine, and IT WORKED!!! Huh, I could ping the internet, but not the
connected emulator box. I could also surf from the other 192.168.2.x
machines just like before.

Ok, I suspect it has to do with ip forwarding and masqurading, but what
exactly?

Well at least I should be able to plug into the modem when it arrives
and be up and running.

--
Jeff Pierce
[EMAIL PROTECTED]