Charles,

(Moving this to leaf-user from leaf-dev, it's more a user message.)

First thanks for everything you have done on LRP, especially
EigerStein and the documentation and packages at your site. I
have just been spending a lot of time studying network.txt and have
found it very thorough and well-written. I am really in your debt,
more than you know!

What I am doing is migrating my EigerStein2Beta system to
Extended Scripts 1.0. My first goal (now achieved) was to make
the extended scripts work like EigerStein (that is, with DHCP
working on eth0). My second goal, to be done today, I hope, is to
add a DMZ.

1. I finally figured out that if am using DHCP to get an IP for eth0,
that eth0 should not be included in IF_AUTO.

Just want to verify that I have this right.

I should have

IF_AUTO="eth1 eth2"

and not

IF_AUTO="eth0 eth1 eth2"

since I am using DHCP on eth0. Is that correct?

If this is right, it probably deserves a comment in network.conf and
a mention in network.txt.

2. There appears to be a bug in the extended scripts 1.0
/etc/init.d/network file. I'm guessing you already know about this,
but what the heck, here it is:

In the code fragment:

    if [ "$IPALWAYSDFRG" ]; then
        if [ "$IPALWAYSDEFRAG_KERNEL" = "YES" ]; then
            echo "1" >/proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_always_defrag
                && vb echo -n "[IP Always Defrag: ENABLED] "
        else
            echo "0" >/proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_always_defrag \
                && vb echo -n "[IP Always Defrag: DISABLED] "
        fi
    fi

There is no continuation character "\" after the first
ip_always_defrag

The funny thing is I didn't notice this at all in my EigerStein2Beta
setup, but I got an error message about it when for a lark I dropped
my versions of network.conf, ipfilter.conf, and network into Ewald's
version of EigerStein2Beta. That version almost works for me, but
not quite, but rather than debug it I am going to wait for your
version of the EigerStein upgrade. I will migrate my setup to your
new version when it is available, and would be more than happy to
help debug it.

Now on to trying out a DMZ on eth2 :-)

Tim Wegner