> > Do you really mean to limit yourself to one and only one host connection
> > through the ppp link?
> >

> No, but I also don't want to have two default routes because Linux won't
> use both of them -- basically I want to route by protocol rather than
> address, which is where the rub is because that's not what the systems
> (or Internet) are designed to do.

Ah, but this is what advanced routing is for.  I've not set this up
personally, but the documentation I've read through (2.4 advanced routing
HOWTO, ip command reference, &c) indicate you can use the ipchains/iptables
to mark packets, then use these 'marks' to select alternate route tables.
This should be flexible to allow you to route by protocol, as well as source
IP, and other 'non-standard' selectors.

Charles Steinkuehler
http://lrp.steinkuehler.net