Charles Steinkuehler wrote:

> > Trying to load many modules at the LRP= point in syslinux.cfg in
> > Dachstein-CD.
> >
> > It appears that when the third line, beginning ``default linux . . .''
> > exceeds 253 characters, all items _after_ this point are ignored.
>
> Yes, this is a kernel limitation on the length of the command line passed to
> it on boot.
>
> > Is the only workaround adding an lrpkg.cfg to floppy?
>
> No...it's just one of many possible workarounds.  In general, however, all
> workarounds will involve storing additional information somewhere OTHER than
> the kernel command line, and using that information to load the required
> packages.  David D's Oxygen will load all packages it finds in particular
> directories by default, IIRC.
>
> I'm considering making something like a "loadmore.lrp" package, which would
> run after some of the rcS.d scripts (specifically, after the full filesystem
> gets mounted), and install additional packages at that time, but I have many
> bugs to squash first...

Thank you, all, for confirming that this limitation exists -- that is
the important issue.  Overcoming this limitation is an exercise with
many possible solutions; but, now I am satisfied that this is not caused
by some error on my part ;>

Nevertheless, Charles, perhaps you could mention this in the README,
thereabouts where you mention LRP= and syslinux.cfg . . .

--

Best Regards,

mds
mds resource
888.250.3987

Our capacity for understanding is inversely proportional to how much we
think we know.  The more I know, the more I know I don't know . . .