> I am anxiously awaiting the Dachstein-CD with IPSec to upgrade my LRP
2.9.7
> to allow VPN access.  I've been watching the postings and I have the
> following two suggestions:

I'm working on getting IPSec running now...

> 1) It would be VERY desireable (pretty please --- saves me setting up a
> devel system and recompiling...) to use IPSec 1.91 WITH x.509.  I think
> "arne @ loopback . org" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> has (or claims to!) a
> good working version of it.

I haven't looked at the patches required for x.509 support.  If only the
IPSec stuff changes, I may add this (or you can grab the binaries from
arne's package).  If the x.509 patch requires changes to the KLIPS code in
the kernel, I probably won't deal with it (too many kernels to re-compile &
not enough time)

> 2) WRT the backup and readonly, Charles was suggesting that he will
default
> the backup location to be adjusted if the files are loaded from a r/o
drive.
> Have you considered the case (that I use all the time) where some files in
> question are loaded from a write protected floppy but when it comes to
> backing up, it's just a matter of popping out the floppy, write enabling
> then popping it back in.  If the backup location is altered because the
> floppy booted write protected (read only), that would screw me up (or
> require me to boot with write protection off)!

So far, the only reliable way I've been able to test for RO vs RW is to
check /proc/mounts, and I'm not real anxious to add even more reliance on
the /proc directory (which is not guaranteed to remain stable from one
kernel version to the next).  If I do implement this functionality, the
backup location for a package would default to the boot= device if all
located packages were on RO devices, and boot= *should* be writable storage
area, even if it isn't writable when booting.

Charles Steinkuehler
http://lrp.steinkuehler.net