Charles, you were right on with ifconfig not showing the alias addresses,
but ip addr does.

ip addr results
7: eth0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP> mtu 1500 qdisc pfifo_fast qlen 100
    link/ether 00:40:33:37:21 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
    inet 64.21.224.240/26 brd 64.21.224.255 scope global eth0
    inet 64.21.224.241/26 brd 64.21.224.255 scope global secondary eth0:1

Do I need to play with any firewall rules to be able to ping the new
address?  I'm using ES2B so it's kernel 2.2.16.  There isn't an ip_alias.o
modules included.

Should I move to the dachstein normal-ipsec kernel?

Thanks.