Greg Morgan wrote:

> I ran nmap against the firewall.  It was from the internal net against
> the external interface so I don't know if this counts?  I saw these
> ports open.  Shouldn't these be closed or am I being fooled by the
> firewall and these are really on the inside?:
>
> (The 1520 ports scanned but not shown below are in state: closed)
> Port       State       Service
> 53/tcp     open        domain
> 80/tcp     open        http
> 1023/tcp   open        unknown

The main structure of the firewall is designed to prevent packets from
entering on to your external interface from ip's on the outside, trying
to initialize connections from their end and to penetrate your system
without your consent. What you're trying to do with nmap is to peek from
the inside and you will usually get ports that are listed as open but
only from the inside part of your network. If you scan them from outside
then they will be listed as closed, since the firewall is shielding them
from that end. Rick Onanian has a security list with sites that use
nmap, nessus, etc., try Secure Design or Vulnerabilities.org:

http://leaf.sourceforge.net/devel/thc/#Security

dnscache - 53/tcp     open   domain
weblet -   80/tcp     open   http
bandwidth monitor (weblet) - 1023/tcp   open    unknown

Closed on the outside but open on the inside (but weblet can be
configured to be seen on the outside but it's not, by default)...

--
Patrick Benson
Stockholm, Sweden