Jeff Newmiller wrote:

> There are compatibility development packages for RedHat that allow you to
> compile for glibc2.0, but in many cases it is not quite so simple.  One
> reason is that the makefiles or configure scripts provided to prepare the
> makefiles require some amount hand-editing to get them to work in a
> compatibility mode.  Depending on your familiarity with the dependencies
> in the source you are compiling, this may be possible but can be far from
> trivial in the general case.  Unless the source is particularly simple,
> the easiest solution is to use a Debian Slink installation for
> development, as long as your source code doesn't depend on glibc features
> added after glibc2.0.

You can also use Red Hat 5.2 or Mandrake 5.3 to do the same thing.
However, using the compatability packages for Red Hat requires Red Hat
6.x or equivalent, since they weren't released for Red Hat 7.x - I don't
know how they'd be under Red Hat 7.

Compiling is usually not so bad unless the program makes extensive use
of networking or a few other functions.  Many things will compile just
fine, including networking applications.

Using the glibc compatability libraries is the only way I've done most
of my package development, since Red Hat 5 is hopelessly out of date (as
is everything which uses glibc 2.0).  If you use a shell wrapper script,
you can override the C compiler used by the Makefiles (and by
autoconfigure) which allows you to compile for glibc 2.0.

In fact, many programs will compile without any editing if they don't
use any glibc 2.1 specific features, and if you set the CC variable to
make and use the -e option - or set CC and run autoconfigure.

More extensive details can be found in the LRP Developer's Guide on the
LEAF site at http://leaf.sourceforge.net/