First, I don't have a Compaq running LEAF, but I do have NIC cards that
have the same chipset.

Have you tried the PCNet32 module?  Another that works for the VLB cards
that I have that use the PCNet chip is the lance.o module.  Supposedly the
PCNet32 module should work for me, but it doesn't.  The lance.o is a
generic replacement from what I understand.

Tony