[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Hi all and especially to David,

Hi!

> I have downloaded some of the packages from the oxygen packages list
> and tried them on my eigerstein beta2 but they all seem to segfault.

Some (many?) of these packages use glibc 2.1.

> I am talking especially about ethereal and winscan, is this a library problem
> or a kernel version issue? And is it fixable without switching over to an
> oxygen distribution? Because I got quite accustomed to my eigerstein config?

It is indeed fixable; however, you'll need to convert to glibc 2.1 or
recompile the packages under glibc 2.0.  I had lots of problems getting
newer networking tools to compile under 2.0; after a while, one gets a
little worn down by it all.

There is talk of converting Dachstein-CD to glibc 2.1; someone's done it
already on their own system.  Oxygen in development also uses glibc 2.1,
and can be converted to use glibc 2.2 just by creating a new glibc.lrp
package.