A "very long connect time" for *any* service can be caused by many things. A
reverse-lookup failure is the most common of them. For it, "very long"
usually equates to about 3 minutes. If your own probleme goes back to when I
was still on the LRP list, I may even have been the person who told you this
(I don't actually know, but I used to respond to a lot of those queries).

In Troy's case, the log data made it clear that his problem was different,
derived from not getting a response to an ident (auth) query.

The usual nsswitch "solution" to this problem, when it occurs **on the LEAF
router**, is to *add* a line to nsswitch.conf, not delete one. You add the line:

hosts:  files  dns

The problem mainly occurred with various versions of Dave Cinege's LRP. The
common LEAF variants, Oxygen, EigerStein, and DachStein, do not, as I
recall, perpetuate this configuration error.

As to SSH versus ftp, I know it is common for SSH servers to do
reverse-lookup, not for authentication as much as for logging. I've never
seen one do an ident check.

I don't have a reference for an "in depth discussion of reverse dns and
ident specific to Linux" beyond the LRP/LEAF-specific thread I already
referred you to.