Resolved:
Indeed the Packard-Bell model A940-TWRA, a Pentium I/ 75Mhz with 16MB ram and a standard NEC floppy,
appears to be an oddball.
The same diskettes worked fine in a IBM Aptiva P-1 /166 with 16MB, with the same kind of NEC floppy drive.
Also, same diskettes worked in a Gateway 2000 P1/75, but after the boot options, at the prompt:
boot:
a lot of repeated chars (t: or t) appeared, as though the keyboard buffer was full of garbage.
Fortunately no returns or linefeeds, I guess.
So i backspaced a bit, hit the enter key, and the "none" option was taken correctly.

Is it possible that there are a few systems (like the PackardBell) that will have garbage chars that confuse the boot options prompt?

Anyway, I am proceeding with a dual-ethernet card firewall/gateway using the latest data disk for firewalls.....
Wish me luck!
>>>RWT

David Douthitt wrote:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]">
"Dr. Richard W. Tibbs" wrote:

I built a 1.680 MB boot floppy based on the latest oxygen release, and
I tried it out on a humble Packard-Bell Pentium-1 with 16MB ram.

That will be rather tight for Oxygen...

Syslinux 1.62 comes up and presents several options, but then I get the
subject line message:
Could not find kernel image: support
and
Could not find kernel image: ge
repeated forever.

That's not anything I've ever heard of before... is this right after
syslinux comes up (with a options screen) or is it after you press
enter?