[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I have some basic SNMP monitoring of my Dachstein machines working using
> the old SNMP package and MRTG. With these I keep a constant graph of the
> activities of eth0, eth1 and ipsec0 on both ends of my test VPN tunnel. I
> converted to net-snmp and everything is still working (thanks people for
> standards). My next task is to add monitoring of the memory, CPU, and RAM
> disks.

> Others have setup MRTG to do this kind of thing on their Linux servers. I
> was wondering if anyone here have already done something similar and have
> some MRTG scripts that work with the net-snmp mibs that they can share, or
> maybe just some pointers.

Maybe this is out of line here, or maybe not.

Here we use NetSaint to monitor many systems.  It would be quite simple
to set up a monitoring system to check for CPU, disk space, memory -
whatever you want.  All you need is an ssh server on the LEAF side and
scripts that give one line of info and return 0 for OK, 1 for WARNING,
and 2 for CRITICAL....  Then you run your script using SSH.

Of course, NetSaint is for system critical conditions, and isn't for
performance monitoring, though the latest versions offer the ability to
store performance data (but not process it).

MRTG is more of a history, and NetSaint is a snapshot in time.  Sort of
like the difference between a balance sheet and an income statement :)