Among others here on this list  ...

I have created a single-diskette distribution that installs the base
configuration of a VPN firewall based on the Linux Router Project (LRP,
www.linuxrouter.org), a compact Linux distribution that can fit on a single,
bootable floppy diskette. The distribution here is essentially Charles
Steinkuehler's Eiger disk image with Steinkuehler's IPSec-enabled kernel and
LRP IPSec package. Firewalling is carried out through Linux ipchains. This
particular version is based on the 2.2.16 kernel of Linux. This distribution
is called DUCLING (Diskette- based Ultra Compact Linux IPSec Network
Gateway). Compact Linux distributions have a twisted history. LRP
technically refers to Dave Cinege's compact distribution. There are many
variants around, including Charles Steinkuehler's distribution (EigerStein)
of Matthew Grant's defunct Eiger version (lrp1.steinkuehler.net). Another
such distribution is David Douthitt's Oxygen
(leaf.sourceforge.net/content.php?menu=900&page_id=1). Also, there is LEAF
(Linux Embedded Appliance Firewall), a developer's umbrella that tries to
coordinate releases and documentation, sort of like a one-stop shop for
compact Linux distributions (leaf.sourceforge.net). I use the term LRP to
refer to the compact Linux distribution presented here, even though some may
consider this terminology incorrect.

By Duncan Napier

--
Goodbye youth, goodbye dreams,
The good times and the friends I used to know.