Charles Steinkuehler wrote:

> > > Looks like everything but IDE is working properly...are you sure you've
> got
> > > the kernel configured properly for IDE support?
> >
> > It's an older ide hdd (quantum lps270), if that matters.
> >
> > Here are what I believe to be pertinent .config sections -- in lieu of
> > the whole thing:
> >
> > #
> > # Block devices
> > #
> > CONFIG_BLK_DEV_FD=y
> > CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDE=m
> > CONFIG_BLK_DEV_HD_IDE=y
> > CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDISK=m
> > CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDECD=m
> > CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDETAPE=m
> > CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEFLOPPY=m
> > CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDESCSI=m
> <snip>
>
> Looks like you've got IDE support compiled as a module.  Make sure you're
> might want to verify the existence and contents of /proc/ide, which should
> have information about your attached IDE devices if all the drivers are
> loaded properly.

Interestingly, under the kernel that is functioning properly, there is
*NO* /proc/ide !?!?

In fact, grepping for ide in all files under /proc (except,
numeral-named), I find:

/proc/ioports:01f0-01f7 : ide0
/proc/ioports:03f6-03f6 : ide0
/proc/ioports:e800-e807 : IDE DMA
/proc/ioports:e808-e80f : IDE DMA
/proc/interrupts:14:        150 + ide0
/proc/devices: 3 ide0
/proc/ksyms:00180518 ide_register_Reb6aee5d
/proc/ksyms:00180610 ide_unregister_R0c486b72
/proc/ksyms:0019e790 proc_print_scsidevice_Ra4deca21
/proc/scsi/aic7xxx/0:                           Ultra Wide Controller
/proc/pci:    IDE interface: Intel 82371SB PIIX3 IDE (rev 0).

So, how is this handling the IDE hdd?  Is it using scsi to interpret
ide?

The new kernel has this /proc/ide/drivers:

        ide-disk version 1.08

Also, networking is also behaving badly!  I can resolve names from
addresses (ostensibly, via dnscache on the firewall); but, *all* pings
fail completely!

What do you thing?

--

Best Regards,

mds
mds resource
888.250.3987

Our capacity for understanding is inversely proportional to how much we
think we know.  The more I know, the more I know I don't know . . .