Sorry the advisory that I remembered seeing was this one not
the one listed below but both seem to have some relevance.

Ken

-----Original Message-----
From: Jeff Newmiller [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On
Behalf Of Jeff
Newmiller
Sent: Sunday, December 16, 2001 1:19 AM
To: Ken
Cc: Leaf User Support List
Subject: Re: [Leaf-user] OpenSSH Solved - was "Dachstien
Documentation
Idiosyncrasies"

On Sat, 15 Dec 2001, Ken wrote:

[...]

> I find it interesting that OpenSSH works with Putty when
> they explicitly say on their website that they do NOT
> support OpenSSH unless Jacques Nilo's version of OpenSSH
> just degrades itself to use ssh v1 or v2 when attaching
from
> Putty.  It may be that we are not getting all the features
> of OpenSSh we think we are getting.  Don't know, and in my
> case (closed internal network no ssh from external) I
don't
> really care.  It is more of a learning experience then a
> necessity for me.  Still interested if the CIAC bulletin
has
> caught anyone's attention to check if we have a security
> hole.  The website is
> http://www.ciac.org/ciac/bulletins/m-026.shtml

Well,

a) you would have to be using multiple logins (which I think
is true with
weblet)

b) an untrusted person would have to know or be able to set
the password
for that account.

They rate it medium.  For LEAF, I think it looks even less
critical.

I think it is more important to not use login access from
outside your
LAN at all anyway.  If you want to come in from outside, use
public-key
access.

> The exact verbiage from the Putty website (could just be
an

http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/faq.html#A
> .1.2
> A.1.2 Does PuTTY support reading OpenSSH or ssh.com SSHv2
> private key files?
> Not at present. OpenSSH and ssh.com have totally different
> formats for private key files, and neither one is
> particularly pleasant, so PuTTY has its own. We do plan to
> write a converter at some stage.

Seems pretty clear to me.  They don't support the file
format for OpenSSH
private key files.  That would mean... don't try to create a
v2 private
key file using OpenSSH and transfer it to a Winbox and
expect to be able
to use it with Putty.  Says nothing about compatibility with
v1 private
key files, or with on-the-wire public key exchanges.

---------------
Jeff Newmiller                        The     .....
.....  Go Live...
DCN:<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>        Basics: ##.#.
##.#.  Live Go...
                                      Live:   OO#.. Dead:
OO#..  Playing
Research Engineer (Solar/Batteries            O.O#.
#.O#.  with
/Software/Embedded Controllers)               .OO#.
.OO#.  rocks...2k