Scott>  Heya. Regarding your firewall troubles, might I suggest that
Scott> you please give the echowall.lrp package a try, available at
Scott> ftp.echogent.com. It's expressly designed towards making an
Scott> Eiger/Dach firewall with port-forwarding as easy as possible to
Scott> setup.

I might take a look at this, but I think I know where the issue is
with my network.conf file.

Scott>  In other words, it's meant for novice users. No offense!  Just
Scott> two of the things you wrote suggest you might be the target
Scott> audience:

I'm not sure I'm quite the target audience, but I'm not offended!  I
don't do much firewall stuff at all.

Basically, I want port 22 on my Dachstein box to goto the sshd on the
firewall, while I want port 24 forwarded into an internal machine.

Scott>  This rule is a bit reckless: it will allow any TCP packets
Scott> from anywhere *to* anything hit your TCP port 24. Nothing
Scott> typically listens to TCP port 24 (the IANA designates it as
Scott> "any private email server"), so I suspect you either meant port
Scott> 22 for SSH, or you changed your SSHd server to listen to port
Scott> 24 instead.  In any case...allowing a TCP connection from any
Scott> address destined for any address shouldn't ever be required.

Yeah, this I know.  It's too far up in the chain and doesn't offer the
proper protection to the system.

Scott>  Have a look at "www.echogent.com/cgi-bin/fwlog.pl" with this
Scott> packet log. It's harmless noise, which the echowall package
Scott> willl actually not report about, by default.

I wish DachStein would not log this stuff by default either, since
without it, I can actually do with a ramlog.lrp setting of 4mb, but
without it I had to upto it 16mb.  I guess I'm just on a noisy cable
modem link.

Thanks for your help, I'll look into echowall when I get a chance.

John