Dan Schwartz wrote:

>         Over the past few days I've received some very helpful guidance about
> assembling LEAF VPN appliances to handle multi-megabit 3DES encryption
> throughput rates; and I really appreciate the guidance given this Mac & NT
> geek (& linux newbie).
>
>         However, since LEAF is essentially a small, stripped down (yet robust!)
> router that fits on 1 or 2 floppies, is there another router/encryption
> project out there in *nix land that's more suited for high capacity, i.e.
> something on the order of an Intel NetStructure 31xx VPN gateway
> <http://www.intel.com/network/idc/products/vpn_gateway.htm>?

What is it that these products have that you believe cannot be done with
LEAF?

``The Intel NetStructure VPN Gateway Family features an IntelŪ PentiumŪ
processor-based PC architecture with solid-state design (no moving
parts), protected OS kernel and optional hardware acceleration.''

Don't be fooled by the ``no moving parts'' ;>

The fact that we boot off of floppy or cdrom doesn't really conflict
with that quotation, since, once it's running, we, too, have no moving
parts!  How often do you plan on rebooting?

And, as I asked last night, that pentium processor does *not* have the
processing power of the celerons my systems are running!

I don't know about you; but, when I read:

``Windows* OS-based utilities for centralized and remote management''

I wonder if that added gui overhead couldn't better be used in the
encryption, firewalling and routing processes ???

The fact that LEAF is a ``small, stripped down'' linux os should be a
strong selling point -- *all* of your os can be delegated to the primary
function of the system.  It is not likely that anybody can claim that
for any ``Windows* OS-based'' system.

What do you think?

--

Best Regards,

mds
mds resource
888.250.3987

Our capacity for understanding is inversely proportional to how much we
think we know.  The more I know, the more I know I don't know . . .